Monday: Click here to download the Bill of Rights Graphic Organizer
Welcome to week three! Last week, we discussed the American Dream, its history, how it has changed over time, as well as barriers to attaining the American Dream. This week, we will focus on different perspectives on America and the American Dream. Please see below for a brief schedule of our week together:
|Monday, August 31
- Unpacking the RACE response and the essential question: “Does America Still Provide Access to the American Dream?”
- Assignment: The Bill of Rights: In Your Own Words Graphic Organizer
- Exit Ticket
|Tuesday. September 1
- Review tone, audience, and purpose
- “The Two Clashing Meanings of Free Speech,” Teresa M. Bejan (Springboard 1.5; click here for text)
- AEIOU Padlet
- Discussion of Springboard questions
|Wednesday, September 2
||Please note that Wednesdays are reserved for independent work time, tutoring, and small group learning.
|Thursday, September 3
- Review tone, theme, and imagery
- Click here for some tone words!
- Walt Whitman bio video
- “America” and “I Hear America Singing,” Whitman (Springboard 1.10)
- Padlet questions
|Friday, September 4
- Discussion: How is the American Dream different for different populations?
- Compare and Contrast: “I, Too,” by Langston Hughes and “I, Too, Sing America,” by Julia Alvarez
- Assignment: poetry comparison
- What’s the theme of the poem? Sketchnotes