I hope you enjoyed analyzing and annotating Tupac’s poem yesterday! Today, we will review the poem and its themes and utilize the RACE writing strategy in order to answer some constructed response questions.
You will see constructed response questions on the EOC. Your response should answer all parts of the question and although I am not asking you to write an essay, your response should be a solid paragraph, with text evidence. To “grade” your responses, we will use the two-point rubric from the EOC, shown below.
In order to answer question #2, you will need to know the five tenets of Transcendentalism. Don’t worry if you don’t know this big word yet – we will dig into the literary movement move after the EOC. The five tenets of Transcendentalism are:
- Nonconformity: failure or refusal to conform to a prevailing rule or practice
- Simplified Life: living with only the essentials; used to refer to a manner of living in which a person does not own many things or use many modern machines
- Self-Reliance: reliance on one’s own powers and resources rather than those of others
- Favoring Intuition over Reason (Free Thought): the act of relying on your “gut feelings;” using past experiences and taking chances and just learning as you go along
- Importance of Nature: nature is necessary for humans to survive and thrive; food, water, medicine, materials, for shelter, and even natural cycles such as climate and nutrients
Which of these five tenet(s) are evident in Tupac’s poem?